Ok, here is the simplest way to cook a steak to PERFECTION everytime!
You favorite cut of beef, 1/2" to 3/4" inch thick.
Bernaise Sauce, Steak Sauce, Salsa, Gorgonzola, or whatever else you like on it!
The secret is to use an old fashion CAST-IRON skillet! You can get a 10" skillet at any deparment store for about $15.00. Don't get one that's too big, or you won't be able to lift or wield it. Get a SIMPLE, PLAIN, CAST-IRON SKILLET! Simplicity is perfection!
After you get it, you will need to "season" it. This is a simple process of rubbing it COMPLETELY (inside and out) with canonla oil, then letting it sit in the oven at about 200° for a couple of hours.
And by the way, you NEVER WASH a cast-iron skillet! If you do, it will RUST. To clean, simply pour a bunch of coarse-salt in it and rub it around with a paper towel or dish towel. As the salt gets dirty, the skillet is getting clean. If you feel you have to wash it once in a while, ok. But, when you are done RE-SEASON it.
- Place your seasoned CAST-IRON skillet in the oven and preheat the oven to 450°
- Place your steak on a clean plate and season each side with salt & pepper to taste.
- Next, lightly coat each side with CANOLA oil.
- When the oven is ready, turn on a stove burner to HIGH and heat the skillet for 1-2 minutes (until it starts smoking).
- Next, we "sear" the steak to seal in the juices while its cooking.
- When the skillet is "smoking" hot, place the steak in the skillet for 30 seconds, ONLY!
- Turn the steak over, and sear the other side for 30 seconds.
Now, put the skillet and steak in the oven for 3 to 4 MINUTES!
(You will need to adjust the time based on the thickness of the steak)
- At the end of 4 minutes, flip the steak, and cook for another 3 to 4 MINUTES!
- When done, remove the steak and place on a plate.
- Let it rest! Do NOT touch the steak for 2 MINUTES!!!.
WHY? While it was cooking, the meat and all the juices were expanding.
By letting it sit or "rest", all the juices will be drawn back into the meat.