This is a tastey New Mexican dish that I order frequently from Arriba Mexican Grill in Phoenix, Arizona. "Pollo" is spanish for chicken, and "con queso" means "with cheese". This is essentially a fried Chicken Burrito covered in Cheddar and Cream cheeses. It's made Low-Carb by using Low-Carb Tortillas. Note: NOT an "induction" meal.
12 large Low-Carb Tortillas
12 large slices of Cheddar or Jack cheese
1 green pepper
1 medium white onion
2 stalks celery
2 tomatoes, whole and peeled
Water to cover bottom of stock pot
Garlic, salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/2 ounce fresh jalapenos, diced
1/2 ounce chicken base
- In a large pot, add vegetables, except tomatoes, and cook until softened, about 30 minutes.
- Crush tomatoes and add, along with spices.
- Add chicken and cook for another 30 minutes until meat is cooked cooked.
- Soften cream cheese.
- Place all ingredients in a mixer and blend evenly.
- Make chicken burros by placing meat in center of large soft flour tortilla, rolling halfway, folding both ends and completing the rolling process.
- If needed, use a toothpick to hold tortilla in place.
- Fry burro in vegetable oil and set aside.
- Cut each into halves.
- Place one-half ounce of cream cheese, on top of each
- Place a slice of Cheddar or Jack cheese on top of each.
- Bake in 350° until cheese melts, about one minute.