CHINESE-STYLE VEGETABLE & NOODLE SOUP
Not really Low-Carb (because of the noodles), but its simple and delicious.
5 cups VEGETABLE or CHICKEN STOCK
1 clove GARLIC
1 inch cube of fresh GINGER
2 Tbsp. SOY SAUCE
1 Tbsp. CIDER VINEGAR
2 oz. fresh SHITAKE or BUTTON MUSHROOMS
2 large SCALLIONS
1 1/2 oz. EGG NOODLES
2 cups shredded NAPA GABBAGE
1 Tbsp. Fresh CORIANDER LEAVES (Cilantro)
2-3 cups COOKED Chicken (cubed or shredded) Optional
- LIGHTLY crush the GARLIC clove with the flat side of a knife (Do NOT break it up, you will need to remove it after cooking.)
- Remove the stems from the MUSHROOMS and thinly slice them.
- Peel the GINGER and cut it into fine shreds (or grate it).
- Shred the CABBAGE.
- Thinly slice the SCALLIONS diagonally.
- Shred the CORRIANDER leaves (Cilantro)
- Pour the STOCK into a pot or saucepan.
- Add the GARLIC, GINGER, SOY SAUCE, and VINEGAR.
- Bring to a boil, then cover the pot and reduce the heat to very low.
- Let simmer gently for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the GARLIC and discard it.
- Add cooked chicken if you are using it
- Add the slice MUSHROOMS and SCALLIONS and bring the soup back to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the shredded Napa CABBAGE and NOODLES (NOTE: Only add as many noodles as you will eat right now. The noodles will expand and soak up all the broth if you let it sit. You can always add more noodles when re-heating as left-overs.)
- Stir in the CORRIANDER leaves and simmer 1-2 minutes longer.